Attending any of the top nursing schools in Lagos is one of the best choices to make. This is so especially as someone who has an eye for the health care industry.
The reason is simple. Nursing is one of the most in-demand jobs out there. Also, Nurses are known to have:
- Great opportunities.
- Great rewards
- Personal fulfilment.
However, you might be wondering, why is nursing so important? It is vital because they help patients, especially in their most vulnerable moments.
Also, they go a long way to give support to those recovering from sickness. Would you like to learn about why you should consider studying nursing? If yes, then continue reading.
Why You Should Consider Studying Nursing
Before learning about the top nursing schools in Lagos, note. Below are a few other reasons you should study nursing:
- Nurses have a rewarding and fulfilling career.
- In most countries of the world, nurses are appreciated and respected.
- Also, Nurses are essential for the proper functioning of the healthcare system.
- They help in administering drugs to patients.
- Also, they go as much as helping patients through physical and emotional pain.
- Additionally, there is an embedded fulfilment that comes with being a nurse. This is because of the instant feedback you get.
List of Top Nursing Schools in Lagos
Here is the list of the top nursing schools in Lagos:
1. Department of Nursing (DON), University of Lagos (UNILAG)
This is one of the top nursing schools in Lagos. This nursing school offers two types of admission. There are admissions for generic students. And then admissions for direct entry students.
At the end of your program at this university, you will obtain an award of a Bachelor of Nursing Science (B.N.Sc) degree.
Upon completion of programs, graduates are expected to be professionally competent generalists in the nursing field.
Requirements for Nursing at UNILAG
- You need to have 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC or NECO). This must include English Language and Mathematics.
- Also, you must have scored high in Jamb. You should have at least the minimum score-200 and above. This makes you eligible to be considered for the post UTME or screening exercise.
2. School of Nursing (SON), Igando
This is one of the top nursing schools in Lagos. It offers the following nursing programs:
- Post Basic Nursing.
- Psychiatric Nursing.
- Basic Nursing.
- Basic Midwifery
To study nursing at the School of Nursing (SON), Igando:
- Applicant must possess FIVE CREDIT at not more than two (2) sittings, in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. This could be from NECO, WAEC or NABTEB.
- The candidate must not be less than 18 years.
3. School of Nursing (SON), Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba
This is one of the best nursing schools in Lagos. Also, it is one of the accredited nursing schools in Lagos. And it is situated within the Lagos University Teaching hospital.
Interestingly, it is an outstanding nursing institution. And it is known to be not just among the best in Lagos, but in Nigeria at large.
This is nursing school is over 60 years. And it still boasts of an academic environment that is top-notch.
- Applicants must be SSCE holders.
- Also, the applicant must have credit in: English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics.
- SSCE results acceptable for admission are WAEC, NECO, and GCE. NABTEB results may not be used for nursing admission.
- Additionally, applicants must not be less than 17 years old at the period of admission.
4. School of Nursing (SON), Military Hospital, Yaba
This is one of the nursing schools in Lagos. Applications are always invited from interested and suitably persons. The programme duration is 18 months for post-basic midwifery.
- Candidates must possess a minimum of 5 credits in their O-Level Result (WASSC/GCE, NECO). This includes English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. And this is at not more than two (2) sittings.
- Also, candidates must be Nigerian by birth.
- Additionally, candidates must be a Registered Nurse (RN) with at least six (6) months of working experience
- Furthermore, candidates must possess a current practising license
5. School of Post Basic (SOPB) A&E Nursing, National Orthopedic Hospital (NOH), Igbobi, Lagos
This is one of the nursing schools in Lagos that offer the following programs:
- Post basic orthopaedic nursing programme.
- Post basic accident and emergency nursing programme
- Applicants must possess WASC/GCE, NECO/GCE. And this should be with credits in English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
- Also, applicants must be registered Nurses (SRN or RN/RM) with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
- Additionally, applicants must possess a valid and current license to practice.
- Also, applicants with B.Sc. Nursing have an added advantage.
- Candidates must be sponsored for the course. The sponsoring organization will be responsible for the payment of the applicant’s salaries and allowances while in training.
- However, self-sponsored candidates may be considered on merit.
- A minimum of one-year post registration experience is required.
6. School of Mental Health Nursing, Federal Neuropsychiatric, Yaba
This is one of the top nursing schools in Lagos. Interested candidates must be Registered Nurse with at least one (1) year Post Qualification Experience.
Also, they have a valid current license. Furthermore, they must possess five (5) credits at O’level in the following subjects:
- English Language.
A combination of results should not be more than two (2) sittings of the same examination body. This is one of the known nursing schools in Lagos.
7. School of Orthopedic Nursing, NOH. Igboni Lagos
This is one of the nursing schools in Lagos which is located on an ever busy motorway (Ikorodu Road) in Lagos.
Its vision is to train registered nurses. And these nurses are to provide specialized nursing care to patients. This care to patients includes:
- Care for those with neuro-musculoskeletal disorders in homes.
- Care for those with neuro-musculoskeletal disorders in communities.
- Also, care for those with neuro-musculoskeletal disorders at all levels of the health care delivery system in the country.
The Orthopedic Nursing Programme is a 12-month two (2) semesters programme of study in approved institutions. Also, the programme involves both theoretical and practical exposure for Students.
- Applicants must have WAEC/NECO. And this is with credit in at least five subjects which include English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at not more than two sittings.
- Also, applicants must be Registered Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
- Additionally, applicants must possess a current practising license.
8. School of Psychiatry Nursing, Federal Neuropsychiatric Yaba
This school is located in Yaba. It is for students who want to work in the nursing industry, caring for psychiatric patients and learning everything there is to know about their health.
Moreover, the federal government has accredited this school for the training of nurses in the country.
- School of nursing in Nigeria
- Cheapest private university in Nigeria
- Universities that accept the second choice
9. School of Post Basic Paediatric Nursing, LUTH
This is one of the top nursing schools in Lagos. Lagos State University Teaching Hospital has this school of post-basic pediatric nursing. The school is registered and accepts students, and it is located in Lagos.
It’s a pediatric nursing school that prepares you to deal with children’s issues, including their health and how to care for them.
10. School of Post Basic A&E Nursing
This school teaches hopefuls and other students what they need to know. You should be aware that before you can enrol in a post-basic course, you must first obtain a registered nurse license.
Any post-basic course is an additional course designed to expand your knowledge in the areas or field of nursing.
Accredited School of Nursing in Lagos and their School Fees
Below is the list of the nursing schools in Lagos and their respective school fees for 2022:
1. School of Nursing, Lagos University Teaching Hospital
This is one of the accredited nursing schools in Lagos. Lagos University Teaching Hospital’s School of Nursing is a government nursing school. It teaches students and prepares them to be professionals in the field of nursing.
Also, this institution is aimed to provide students with a three-year program. And this comes with courses based on the nursing curriculum. Their school fees are less than ₦250,000.
2. The University of Lagos, Department of Nursing Science
This is one of the accredited nursing schools in Lagos. The department of nursing science is often known as the school of nursing.
It is located at the University of Lagos. Candidates can apply to this school through JAMB. And their program lasts about 4-5 years. The school fees are around ₦100,000. This includes other expenses.
3. Igando School of Nursing
This is one of the accredited nursing schools in Lagos. This school of nursing is located in Igando, Lagos State. It offers a variety of programs for students.
The first year’s school fees are approximately 230,000 Naira. And applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 23. However, the first-year school fees, which include housing, must be paid prior to resumption.
4. Igbobi School of Post Basic Nursing
This is one of the accredited nursing schools in Lagos. School of Post Basic Nursing, Igbobi is another nursing school in Lagos. It is for those who want to continue their education in nursing.
The school offers two programs: post basic orthopaedic nursing and post-basic accident and emergency nursing.
Applicants for this school must have a license. Also, they must be registered nurses with the National League of Nursing. The school fee is 150,000 – 200,000 Naira.
There are more nursing schools in Lagos. But the above are the ones that are best and are accredited
A word of advice, if you’re interested in a medical-related course, you should consider enrolling in a nursing program. Please feel free to share this post with your loved ones.