Law Schools in Nigeria: Wondering where Law schools are located in Nigeria? Do not worry. This page contains the full list of law schools in Nigeria.
Facts about Law Schools in Nigeria
The Nigerian Law School was set up by the Federal Government of Nigeria. This was in 1962. And the aim is to provide the much-needed practical training to those aspiring to become outstanding Legal Practitioners in Nigeria.
The educational programs of Nigerian Law School give necessary skills, training, and knowledge to make one a successful Lawyer.
However, law school only admits students who have earned LLB in any of the accredited universities offering Law in Nigeria. The duration of the training at the school is one year.
Until the school was established, legal practitioners in Nigeria had received the requisite training in England and had been called to the English Bar.
List of Law Schools in Nigeria and their Campuses
Below is the list of law schools in Nigeria and their campuses:
- Jos Law School Campus, Plateau State
- Kabba Law School Campus, Kogi State
- Yola Law School Campus, Adamawa State
- Maiduguri Law School Campus, Borno State
- Kano Law School Campus, Kano State
- Argungun Law School Campus, Kebbi State
- Enugu Law School Campus
- Okija Law School Campus, Anambra State
- Yenegoa Law School Campus, Bayelsa State
- Port Harcourt Law School Campus, Rivers State
- Orogun Law School Campus, Delta State
- Lagos Law School Campus, Lagos State
- Ilawe Law School Campus, Ekiti State
- Abuja Headquarters – located in Bwari
The law school headquarters is in Abuja in Bwari. It was relocated to the town of Bwari in 1997 from Lagos.
Portal of Law Schools in Nigeria
To visit the portal of law schools in Nigeria CLICK HERE
Some of the things you can do on the portal include:
- Print Admission Letter
- Posting Status
- Admission Status
Information for Foreign Students
To be admitted into the school, note. You must have a Degree in Law or a Mixed Degree in Law from a University in a Common-Law Country. The course of study should be approved by the Council of Legal Education.
Top 6 Law Schools in Nigeria and their Locations
Below are the top 7 law schools in Nigeria and their locations:
1. Abuja Law School Campus
This is one of the top law schools in Nigeria. This law school is located at Garki, Abuja, Bwari, and P.M.B 170. E-mail: [email protected]
Its mission is to prepare every student for the various challenges, responsibilities and rewards of a legal professional. Also, its educational environment promotes individual and collective innovative research in relation to practice.
Asides from the institution’s educational achievements, note. Its vibrant environment boosts the social and interactive skills of each individual. And this is especially as the community comprises students from different ethnic backgrounds.
2. Lagos Law School Campus
This is one of the top law schools in Nigeria. This law school is located at Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, Victoria Island, P.M.B. 12610, Lagos, Nigeria. Email: [email protected]
The Lagos Campus was set up and was later moved to its current location in 1969. The headquarters was then relocated to Abuja in 1997. Also, the Institution has graduated over 70,000 students. A lot of them are now successful Lawyers, Judges, and Citizens.
Also, it is one of the prestigious Law Schools in Nigeria today. It boasts of staff-student and faculty bound together by the common interest of law in practice. And this is with the sole aim of achieving excellence.
3. Enugu Law School
This is one of the top law schools in Nigeria. This law school is located at the Enugu Law School Campus. Agbani, Enugu State, Nigeria.
4. Bayelsa Law School Campus
This is one of the top law schools in Nigeria. This law school is located at Agudama-Epie in the outskirts of Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
5. Kano Law School
This is one of the top law schools in Nigeria. This law school is located at Kano Jos Road, Kano, PMB 3568
6. Yola Campus Law School
This is one of the top law schools in Nigeria. This law school is located at Campus Wuro Hausa, Yola, Nigeria.
Senate Approves New Law Schools in Nigeria
The Senate has approved six new law schools in Nigeria. Senate said the creation of the six new campuses is a legislative intervention. And it is to address the exponential increase in the number of law graduates.
The newly approved law schools in Nigeria are in addition to the existing ones. The bill was sponsored by Smart Adeyemi (APC-Kogi).
Also, the approval of the new law campuses followed the consideration and adoption of a report by the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters on the Legal Education Act (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
List of Senate Approves Law Schools in Nigeria
Accordingly, the Senate approved the following law schools in Nigeria:
- Jos Law School Campus.
- Plateau and Kabba Law School Campus.
- Kogi, for the North-central geo-political zone.
- Also, the chamber also gave the nod to the Yola Law School Campus.
- Adamawa and Maiduguri Law School Campus.
- Borno, to serve the northeast zone.
- Additionally, in the North-west, the Senate approved the Kano Law School Campus, Kano State.
- Argungun Law School Campus, Kebbi.
- In the South-east, the chamber gave approval for the Enugu Law School Campus
- Also, Okija Law School Campus was for Anambra.
- Also, the Senate approved the Yenegoa Law School Campus, Bayelsa.
- Also, there is the Port Harcourt Law School Campus, River State.
- Also, there is Orogun Law School Campus, Delta for the South-south zone.
- Additionally, in the South-west, the chamber approved the Lagos Law School Campus, Lagos.
- Also, there is the Ilawe Law School Campus, Ekiti.
However, the Bwari Law School Campus, Abuja, remains exclusively for the Federal Capital Territory.
FAQS about Law Schools in Nigeria
Below are frequently asked questions about law schools in Nigeria:
Which Nigerian Law School Campus is the Best?
Nigerian law students prefer Lagos law school and Abuja law school. However, this does not mean that other law schools in Nigeria are not equally good.
Generally, because of the location of Lagos law school and Abuja law school, many students prefer to do their one-year law school in those locations.
How long is Law school in Nigeria?
Usually, it takes one year to complete your law school in Nigeria, all other things being equal. All students who pass the NLS examinations will be called to the Bar afterwards. And after that, they will have to partake in the compulsory one year of NYSC.
Now you know the law schools in Nigeria and where they are located. Is that not amazing? Also, you now have information on which is the best. For more updates like this, always visit this page.