Are you looking for a scholarship opportunity to advance your academic dream? If yes, then today is your lucky day.
The critical language scholarship program is an avenue fully funded to facilitate the engagement of US undergraduate and graduate students with the language and culture of other countries. Continue reading to learn more.
Facts about Critical Language Scholarship
The Critical Language Scholarship is looking out for candidates with various interests. Also, it is searching for those from an extensive scope of the professional path.
The Critical Language Scholarship expects that the main motivation of you as a candidate should be to represent your full multifariousness of professional, regional, cultural, and academic backgrounds in the United States.
You will be selected based on your dedication to language learning. Also, it will be based on your intention to apply your language skills to every area of your life.
The Critical Language Scholarship offers languages requiring you to have one or two years of knowledge in those languages before applying for the scholarship.
Others do not require you to have any background knowledge about the particular language you aspire to learn.
Objectives of Critical Language Scholarship
The main objectives of the Critical Language Scholarship program are:
- To widen the level of American studying and learning some important languages.
- Also, to build the relationship between US citizens and other countries.
Additionally, Critical Language Scholarship helps to fund so many students’ education requirements in all learning languages in the United States.
There are varieties of languages you can learn in the Critical Language Scholarship. And the good news is that you necessarily don’t need to have any knowledge of those languages.
Languages Offered by the Critical Language Scholarship Program
Below is the list of languages offered by the critical language scholarship program;
You need a year of study to learn Arabic, Korean, Portuguese, and Russian. Also, you need two years of study to learn Japanese and Chinese.
Interestingly, the Critical Language Scholarship is organized by the US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural affairs. The program is a part of the government of the US to widen the number of students learning important foreign languages.
Eligibility for the Critical Language Scholarship Program
You need to meet certain criteria to be eligible for the Critical Language Scholarship. The requirements are listed below:
- You must be a citizen of the United States of America by the time you apply for the critical language scholarship.
- However, you will be disqualified if you are a non-citizen or even if you have decided to stay in the United States permanently.
- By the time you apply, you must have been in an approved US degree-granting program, whether as an undergraduate (bachelor’s) or graduate level (master’s or professional degree).
- The undergraduate or graduate program you are on when you apply must result in a degree.
- Also, you are only allowed to apply once for one language per summer; you will be considered ineligible if you apply more than once.
If you have completed a CLS program once, you can reapply again for a second term. But if you have won the scholarship twice, you are not allowed to apply again unless you are applying for the virtual Institute.
Other Eligibility Criteria for the Critical Language Scholarship
Other requirements are:
- Also, if your degree is not from an approved university/college in the USA or anywhere in its jurisdictions, you will be disqualified. In other words, if you earn a degree award from a foreign country, you will not be eligible.
- Before your CLS program, you must or must have been registered in a university/college in the US.
- Also, before your CLS program, be sure to attend classes at your home university during the spring semester. This is very important because you will be asked to tender a signature from your registrar to confirm that you signed in during the spring semester.
Critical Language Scholarship Course Duration
How long or short your period of study will be is based on the language you are studying. Also, the timetable varies from time to time.
Critical Language Scholarship Course Structure
Critical Language Scholarship runs for an academic year. And this is approximately 8-10 weeks of university-level studying.
This program is designed to cater to the needs of its recipient when it comes to language in different levels, backgrounds, and cultures.
You will receive formal classroom teaching for 20 hours per week (approximately 5 hours per day). Then extra-classroom activities are designed to add to or back up all the classroom teachings.
The extra-classroom activities include face-to-face meetings with the native speaker of your target language. This is where you will learn how to produce their words and sentences.
Cultural tours and excursions are other important extra classroom activities. Here, you will learn about your target country’s history, culture, political background, and daily life.
All these are done to widen your horizon and be familiar with your target language.
Critical Language Scholarship Program Agenda
The Critical Language Scholarship does commence with a two-day pre-conference orientation in Washington, D.C. After that, they will move you and other students to your location of intensive language study.
The period of language study includes 20 hours of classroom teaching per week and some extra-classroom activities, including cultural excursions, partner chat, visitation from your family members, film show, guest teaching, quiz, sports, etc.
There are some languages that if you chose any of them, you would be required to take a language vow; in other words, you are expected to speak and communicate with your target language at a particular point in time.
After you have completed all the activities in the program, you will go through a series of finalist assessments. This is done to confirm that you have instilled everything you have been taught throughout your time in the scholarship program.
Critical Language Scholarship Awards
In Critical language scholarship, the cost of taking part in its foundation is sorted out. Other rewards include:
- Your cost of travelling within the US jurisdiction, whether home city, Washington, DC, travel cost are covered. Also, foreign travels between you and other students have been sorted out.
- Accommodation, board, course-related tours within the United States, visa fee, language handbook, and manuals,
- All CLS admission fees for the scholarship activities.
- Also, the cost of a compulsory pre-conference orientation in Washington, D.C.
- Additionally, you will also get a US academic credit that will be issued through Bryn Mawr College.
Critical Language Scholarship is not responsible for your US passport fees.
- Your qualification will be decided based on different criteria, one of which is your overall Excellence with more consideration for;
- Also, your educational record and your ability to excel in meticulous educational settings.
- Also, your dedication to language learning.
- Your ability to interrelate between the selected language and career or professional goals.
- Your special contribution or insight concerning the Critical Language Scholarship.
- Also, your ability to quickly adjust to a challenging program or different environment.
Click HERE for the application deadline 2022
The above is a great opportunity. Do well to grab it. Also, feel free to share this with your friends.