Peter Obi Profile: Nigerian politician and businessman Peter Gregory Obi CON was the governor of Anambra from March to November 2006, February to May 2007, and June 2007 to March 2014. He was born on July 19, 1961.
Brief History about Peter Obi Profile
Obi received his degree from the University of Nigeria in 1984 and was born in Onitsha in 1961. After that, he started a career in business and banking and finally attained various executive positions at banks.
Before quitting the job to enter politics, Obi was the chairman of Fidelity Bank during the early 2000s. The All Progressives Grand Alliance candidate Obi fought against in the 2003 governor’s race was wrongfully declared the winner.
Obi was proclaimed the victor after three years of court fights, and he took office in March 2006. Then, in November, he was impeached.
The impeachment was later thrown out, and in February 2007, he was reinstated. When a second election was held in April 2007, Obi was once more dismissed, but the judiciary intervened.
Peter Obi’s Age
Peter was conceived on July 19, 1961. He is 60 years old right now, but by July 2022, he should be 61.
People born on July 19th are considered to be representatives of the cancer astrological sign. They are always born with a talent, according to Astrology Zodiac Sign.
Some of the positive traits of these people include: Dreamy, idealistic, missionaries with a higher cause. They also believe in the goodness in others and carry talents that are to be shared with the world.
Peter Obi received his West African Secondary School Certificate while attending Christ the King College in Onitsha (WASC). Later, in 1980, he was admitted to the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, where he graduated in 1984 with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Philosophy.
Peter Obi completed his Chief Executive Program at the Lagos Business School in Nigeria. He also studied in two programs at the Harvard Business School in Boston, USA (Mid to Mid Marketing).
Other schools he had attended include:
- London School of Economics (Financial Mgmt/Business Policy)
- Columbia Business School, New York, U.S.A. (Marketing Management)
- Institute for management development, Switzerland where he also got two certificates in Senior Executive Program and Break-Through Program for CEOs.
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, U.S.A. (Advanced Executive Program)
- Kellogg School of Management U.S.A. (Global Advanced Mgmt Program)
- Oxford University: Said Business School, (Advanced Mgmt& Leadership Program)
- Cambridge University: George Business School (Advanced Leadership Program)
Career Before Politics
Peter Obi, as was already said, is a businessman. Given that he was raised in a family of traders, it is not surprising that he began his career as a trader.
Later, he entered the corporate sector and worked for many businesses in a variety of capacities.
Awards and Honors
These are some of the notable awards of Peter Obi
- Man of the year award (2022)https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/08/peter-obi-emerges-2022-man-of-the-year/
- Sun Newspaper’s Man of the Year (2007)
- This Day Newspaper’s Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria (2009)
- This Day’s Governor of the Decade (2020)
- Champion Newspaper’s Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor (2009)
- West Africa ICT Development Award for Governor of the Year (2010)
- Zik Leadership Prize (2011)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria (2012)
- Ezeife Leadership Foundation’s Leadership and Good Governance Award (2012)
- Methodist Church of Nigeria’s Golden Award on Prudence (2012); Business Hallmark Newspaper’s Man of the Year (2012)
- Silverbird’s Man of the Year (2013)
- The Voice Newspaper’s Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance (2014)
- Champion Newspaper’s Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade (2014)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award – Lagos Business School Alumni Association (LBSAA) (2014)
- Nigerian Library Association’s Golden Merit Award (2014)
- Pontifical Equestrian Order of Saint Sylvester Pope and Martyr (2014)
- Catholic Diocese of Onitsha’s Golden Jubilee Award (2015)
Peter Obi Profile and Political Career
When he stood for governor of Anambra state in 2003 as a representative of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) political party, Obi’s political career gained prominence.
Peter Obi was named the presidential running mate of Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party on October 12, 2018.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Muhammadu Buhari won the election.
Peter Obi on March 24, 2022, declared his intention to contest the 2023 presidency on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Peter Obi made his resignation from the PDP and withdrawal from the party’s presidential primary election official on May 25.
Two days later, on May 27, 2022, Peter said that he is a member of the Labour Party (LP) and that he will be running for president on the platform of that organization.
After Pat Utomi and other contenders withdrew, Peter Obi was announced as the LP’s presidential candidate on May 30. More from Peter Obi profile.
How Much did Peter Obi Left when he was Governor of Anambra?
Peter Obi stated, “I left administration in this country, leaving Anambra State with investment in cash of N75 billion,” during his appearance on “The Candidate,” an NTA presidential show in 2019.
On the day I left office, we had $56 million and N12 billion in Fidelity Bank, $50 million and N12 billion in Diamond Bank, and $50 million and N12 billion in Access Bank for the State of Anambra. Show me a time in this nation’s history when someone left 10% of that.
If you find this article about Peter Obi profile, informative you can leave a comment on the comment section below. You can also share it with your friends as well. Thanks.